Consumers can check with Trading Standards to see which businesses
are members of the scheme before purchasing goods or services. The
scheme is voluntary. By joining the scheme businesses are demonstrating a
commitment to customer care and fair-trading. Trading Standards will
continue to work closely with scheme members, and will carry out
monitoring exercises to help make sure high standards are maintained.
The requirements include:
- The business complies with the law.
- Contract terms are fair, in plain English and clearly legible.
- Pricing is clear, and information about payment methods is provided.
- No repair or servicing work is carried out without the customer's permission.
- Parts replaced during repair or servicing are made available for inspection.
- Itemised invoices are provided.
- The business operates an effective customer complaints procedure.
Approval of a business does not mean that the Trading Standards Service:
- Can guarantee its financial stability.
- Has individually checked the quality of any goods or services provided.
any guarantee or warranty as to the value for money of goods or
services compared with a competitor, or that they will be satisfactory.